Sermon on Patience – How to Acquire Patience
SERMON ON PATIENCE
Introduction: Rom. 2:7
1. We see in our text the importance of patience. It is a must.
2. We also see times in our lives when we fail to exhibit patience.
1) Stopped praying, 1 Thess. 5:17.
2) Grew weary in well-doing, Gal. 6:9.
3) Some even fail to remain faithful, Heb. 6:11.
3. We know we don’t always have patience, so how do we develop it? How do we acquire patience?
I. Patience begins with obedience.
1. We make a decision to be patient
1) They continued stedfastly, Acts 2:42.
2) In order to gain the victory we must be steadfast, unmovable, always abounding…, 1 Cor. 15:58.
3) We must be faithful unto death, Rev. 2:10
4) Col. 1:23; 2 Pet. 3:17.
2. Obedience is coupled with a promise, Rev. 3:21; 21:7.
II. Patience continues with edification.
1. Paul’s example edifies us.
1) Look at what he went through and remained patient, 2 Cor. 11:24ff.
2) His attitude, “crucified with Christ, Gal. 2:20.
3) His expectation having been patient, 2 Tim. 4:6-8.
4) Paul says it’s up to us because nothing else can separate us from the love of God, Rom. 8:35-39.
2. Christ’s example edifies us. We are to run with patience, “looking to Jesus” who ran with patience, Heb. 12:1-3.
3. Our brethren today edify us.
III. Patience finishes with trial.
1. Christians ARE going to be persecuted, 2 Tim. 3:12.
2. It takes trial to make a Christian perfect or complete in Christ, James 1:2-4.
1) No “father Abraham” without “get thee out of thy country … unto a land that I will shew thee” (Gen. 12:1) or “Take now thy son … and offer him there” (Gen. 22:2).
2) No “prophet Moses” without standing before Pharaoh (Exo. 5:1) or the wilderness wanderings.
3) No Joshua without the battles in Canaan.
4) No David without Goliath and his flights from Saul.
5) No Daniel without the lions.
6) No apostles without persecutions.
7) No Jesus without the cross.
Conclusion: How to acquire patience?
1. By obedience.
2. By edification.
3. By trial.
- Patience' Perfect Work
- The Offering of Isaac
- Abraham — “The Friend Of God”
- In Your Patience Possess Ye Your Souls
- Sermon on End Times | Will Jesus Find Us Watching?
- Saved By Faith — "Just Like Abraham"
- A Look At Patience In The New Testament
- Sermon on Abraham – Great Lessons From the Life of Abraham