Sermon on the End Times
Date written: February 7th, 2003
Scripture ref: 1 Thessalonians 4:13-18
TITLE: What Will Happen at the End of time?
PROPOSITION: The Bible teaches that the following events will unfold at the end of time: 1) Jesus will return, 2) The dead shall be raised, 3) There will be a great judgment, 4) All will enter into their eternal estate.
OBJECTIVES:Each hearer should be able to state the four main events that will happen at the end of time.
AIM:I want to implant in the minds of the listeners the truth from God’s word as to what will happen at the end of time as opposed to false concepts.
1. Read: 1 Thess.4:13-18
2. About the Text:
1) This is one of many passages in the New Testament that tell us what will happen at the end of time.
2) The Bible talks about the subject of the end of time and it is something about which we should be concerned.
3) This particular subject is known as Eschatology or the study of last things.
4) What is going to happen when God decides that the earth no longer serves a purpose?
5) Today, many people have many things to say about what will happen.
6) We must interpret figurative scriptures in light of literal ones.
7) Let’s read from the scriptures what these particular events are.
3. Ref. to S, T, P, O, and A.
DISCUSSION:The Bible teaches in straightforward literal language that the following events will unfold at the end of time:
I. Jesus will return.
1. He will appear at the end of time.
1) John 14:3 ” And if I go and prepare a place for you, I will come again, and receive you unto myself; that where I am, there ye may be also.”
2) Acts 1:10-11 “And while they looked stedfastly toward heaven as he went up, behold, two men stood by them in white apparel; Which also said, Ye men of Galilee, why stand ye gazing up into heaven? this same Jesus, which is taken up from you into heaven, shall so come in like manner as ye have seen him go into heaven.”
3) Hebrews 9:28 “So Christ was once offered to bear the sins of many; and unto them that look for him shall he appear the second time without sin unto salvation.”
2. He will come with angels.
1) Matthew 16:27 “For the Son of man shall come in the glory of his Father with his angels; and then he shall reward every man according to his works.”
2) Matt.25:31 “When the Son of man shall come in his glory, and all the holy angels with him, then shall he sit upon the throne of his glory:”
3) Mark 8:38 “Whosoever therefore shall be ashamed of me and of my words in this adulterous and sinful generation; of him also shall the Son of man be ashamed, when he cometh in the glory of his Father with the holy angels”
4) 2 Thess.1:7-10 “And to you who are troubled rest with us, when the Lord Jesus shall be revealed from heaven with his mighty angels, In flaming fire taking vengeance on them that know not God, and that obey not the gospel of our Lord Jesus Christ: Who shall be punished with everlasting destruction from the presence of the Lord, and from the glory of his power;”
3. Come with his saints. Jude 1:14-15 “And to these also Enoch, the seventh from Adam, prophesied, saying, Behold, the Lord came with ten thousands of his holy ones, to execute judgment upon all, and to convict all the ungodly of all their works of ungodliness which they have ungodly wrought, and of all the hard things which ungodly sinners have spoken against him.”
4. Every eye shall see him. Rev.1:7. “Behold, he cometh with clouds; and every eye shall see him, and they also which pierced him: and all kindreds of the earth shall wail because of him. Even so, Amen.”
II. The Dead Shall Be Raised and the Living Caught Up
1. This will happen at Christ’s coming. 1 Corinthians 15:21-23 “For since by man came death, by man came also the resurrection of the dead. For as in Adam all die, even so in Christ shall all be made alive. But every man in his own order: Christ the firstfruits; afterward they that are Christ’s at his coming.”
2. Both good and evil will be raised.
1) John 5:28, 29 “Marvel not at this: for the hour is coming, in the which all that are in the graves shall hear his voice, And shall come forth; they that have done good, unto the resurrection of life; and they that have done evil, unto the resurrection of damnation.”
2) Acts 24:15 “And have hope toward God, which they themselves also allow, that there shall be a resurrection of the dead, both of the just and unjust.”
3. The dead in Christ shall rise first. 1 Thess.4:13-16 “But I would not have you to be ignorant, brethren, concerning them which are asleep, that ye sorrow not, even as others which have no hope. For if we believe that Jesus died and rose again, even so them also which sleep in Jesus will God bring with him. For this we say unto you by the word of the Lord, that we which are alive and remain unto the coming of the Lord shall not prevent them which are asleep. For the Lord himself shall descend from heaven with a shout, with the voice of the archangel, and with the trump of God: and the dead in Christ shall rise first:”
4. Those who are alive will be caught up with them. 1 Thess.4:17 “Then we which are alive and remain shall be caught up together with them in the clouds, to meet the Lord in the air: and so shall we ever be with the Lord.”
III. There will be a great Judgment.
1. On that day, the earth and all that is therein will be burned up. 2 Peter 3:7-10 “But the heavens and the earth, which are now, by the same word are kept in store, reserved unto fire against the day of judgment and perdition of ungodly men. But the day of the Lord will come as a thief in the night; in the which the heavens shall pass away with a great noise, and the elements shall melt with fervent heat, the earth also and the works that are therein shall be burned up.”
2. Every soul will appear before the judgment seat of Christ. 2 Corinthians 5:10 “For we must all appear before the judgment seat of Christ; that every one may receive the things done in his body, according to that he hath done, whether it be good or bad.”
3. This is the day of judgment in which the world will be judged according to righteousness. Acts 17:31 “Because he hath appointed a day, in the which he will judge the world in righteousness by that man whom he hath ordained; whereof he hath given assurance unto all men, in that he hath raised him from the dead.”
4. Every knee will bow to Christ. Romans 14:11 “For it is written, As I live, saith the Lord, every knee shall bow to me, and every tongue shall confess to God.”
5. All will give an account of their earthly deeds. Romans 14:12 “So then every one of us shall give account of himself to God.”
6. Nothing will be hidden from God. Ecc.12:14 “For God shall bring every work into judgment, with every secret thing, whether it be good, or whether it be evil.”
7. Then the sheep will be separated from the goats. Matt.25:31-33 “When the Son of man shall come in his glory, and all the holy angels with him, then shall he sit upon the throne of his glory: And before him shall be gathered all nations: and he shall separate them one from another, as a shepherd divideth his sheep from the goats: And he shall set the sheep on his right hand, but the goats on the left.”
IV. All will enter into their eternal estate.
1. The righteous will go to heaven.
1) Jesus will invite them into the eternal kingdom in heaven. Matthew 25:34 “Then shall the King say unto them on his right hand, Come, ye blessed of my Father, inherit the kingdom prepared for you from the foundation of the world:”
2) They will receive the crown of righteousness. 1 Timothy 4:8 “Henceforth there is laid up for me a crown of righteousness, which the Lord, the righteous judge, shall give me at that day: and not to me only, but unto all them also that love his appearing.”
3) They will receive an incorruptible inheritance. 1 Peter 1:4 ” To an inheritance incorruptible, and undefiled, and that fadeth not away, reserved in heaven for you,”
4) They will receive immortality and eternal life. Romans 2:7 “To them who by patient continuance in well doing seek for glory and honour and immortality, eternal life:”
5) Matthew 25:46 “the righteous into life eternal.”
2. The wicked will go to eternal punishment.
1) They will be sent away unto the place of the Devil and his angels. Matthew 25:41 “Then shall he say also unto them on the left hand, Depart from me, ye cursed, into everlasting fire, prepared for the devil and his angels:”
2) They will be punished away from the presence of the Lord. 2 Thess.1:9 “Who shall be punished with everlasting destruction from the presence of the Lord, and from the glory of his power;”
3) They will experience the second death and be cast into the lake of fire. Rev.20:14-15 “And death and hell were cast into the lake of fire. This is the second death. And whosoever was not found written in the book of life was cast into the lake of fire.”
4) They will consciously suffer through eternity. Matt.13:40-42 “As therefore the tares are gathered and burned in the fire; so shall it be in the end of this world. The Son of man shall send forth his angels, and they shall gather out of his kingdom all things that offend, and them which do iniquity; And shall cast them into a furnace of fire: there shall be wailing and gnashing of teeth.”
5) Matthew 25:46 “But these shall go away into everlasting punishment.”
1. What will happen to you at the end of time?
1) Are you looking forward to the Second Coming of Christ?
2) Will you be resurrected unto life?
3) Will you pass the judgment of Christ?
4) Will you enter eternally into heaven or hell?
1) If you are a Christian but have fallen away
a. Why would you want to end up on the wrong side of Jesus?
b. The time to prepare is now.
c. If you need to make correction do so this morning.
2) If you are not a Christian this morning…
a. God is waiting for you to repent. 2 Peter 3:9
b. He doesn’t want you to be eternally separated from Him.
c. But if you fail to come under the blood of Christ you will not experience being resurrected unto life, but unto condemnation.
d. Heed the plan that it has for man’s salvation today!
a) Hear the word; Romans 10:17 “Faith comes by hearing…”
b) Believe with all your heart; Hebrews 11:6 “For without faith it is impossible…”
c) Repent of your sins (Acts 17:30).
d) Confess Jesus as the Son of God (Matt. 16:16).
e) Be baptized for the remission of your sins (Mark 16:15-16).