Sermon on Resurrection | The Power of the Resurrection
SERMON ON RESURRECTION
Date written: April 27th, 2002
Scripture ref: Philippians 3:10-11
TITLE: The Power of the Resurrection
PROPOSITION: To be in the image of Christ’s resurrection is to experience the power of the resurrection: 1) The power of change, 2) The power of victory, 3) The power of hope.
OBJECTIVES: To motivate all to do whatever it takes to attain to the resurrection of the dead.
1. Read: Philippians 3:10-11
2. About the Text:
1) There wasn’t anything that Paul was not willing to sacrifice in his life.
2) He counted all things for loss for the excellency of the knowledge of Christ.
3) That he might know the power of the resurrection and if by any means he could attain to resurrection.
3. We have had a great youth rally.
1) In the image of God — created, being OUT of that image, image of his death.
2) All is meaningless without the resurrection; 1 Corinthians 15:17 “If we have only hoped in Christ . . . .”
4. But there is POWER in the resurrection.
1) What is the most powerful thing that you can think of. (Sun, Galaxy, Black Hole).
2) Creative force of man.
3) When you can walk out of your own grave, that is power!
5. Ref. to S, T, P, O, and A.
DISCUSSION: To be in the image of Christ’s resurrection is to experience the power of . . . .
1. Story about man grilling during lent–there is no power to change in man.
2. Story of lame man at the beautiful gate.
3. Acts 3:26 “Unto you first God, having raised up his Son Jesus, sent him to bless you, in turning away every one of you from his iniquities.”
4. Are there things in your life you wish you could change? There is POWER in the change that Christ offers.
1. Alexander the Great “There are no more worlds to conquer.” There is no power in human victory.
2. Great chapter on the resurrection.
3. 1 Corinthians 15:54-57 “So when this corruptible shall have put on incorruption, and this mortal shall have put on immortality, then shall be brought to pass the saying that is written, Death is swallowed up in victory. O death, where is thy sting? O grave, where is thy victory? The sting of death is sin; and the strength of sin is the law. But thanks be to God, which giveth us the victory through our Lord Jesus Christ.”
4. Do you want to be victorious over death? There is POWER in the victory that Christ offers.
1. According to scientists, the universe is expanding out of control. There is NO power in this hope.
2. End of John’s life. Some 95 years old.
3. 1 John 3:2 “Beloved, now are we the sons of God, and it doth not yet appear what we shall be: but we know that, when he shall appear, we shall be like him; for we shall see him as he is.”
4. Do you want to live with Christ eternally and be like Him? There is POWER in the hope that Christ offers.
1. Rag soaked with used motor oil. There is NO power in that.
2. Isaiah 64:6 “But we are all as an unclean thing, and all our righteousness is as filthy rags…”
3. 2 Corinthians 5:17 “Therefore if any man be in Christ, he is a new creature: old things are passed away; behold, all things are become new.”
4. Where is the power to make things new??? Where is the POWER of salvation???
5. Romans 6:3-5 “Know ye not, that so many of us as were baptized into Jesus Christ were baptized into his death? Therefore we are buried with him by baptism into death: that like as Christ was raised up from the dead by the glory of the Father, even so we also should walk in newness of life. For if we have been planted together in the likeness of his death, we shall be also in the likeness of his resurrection.”
6. Colossians 2:12 “Buried with him in baptism, wherein also ye are risen with him through the faith of the operation of God, who hath raised him from the dead.”
7. Who put the power of salvation into baptism? God–by raising Jesus from the dead and it is forevermore so.
1. Being in the image of Christ’s resurrection means experiencing his power in your life.
1) He has the power of change.
2) He has the power of victory.
3) He has the power of hope.
4) He has the power of salvation.
1) There is only one question that needs to be asked. Do you want to be in the image of His resurrection?
2) If you are a Christian but not living faithfully. Why did you let go of that power?
3) If you are not a Christian this morning take hold of His power today!
- Resurrection Sermon | In The Resurrection
- I Am The Resurrection And The Life | Sermon John 11:25
- What does baptism of the dead mean?
- Bible Question on Baptism for the Dead, 1 Corinthians 15:29
- Implications of the Resurrection
- Implications of the Resurrection
- Christ's Resurrection Guarantees Our Own
- Our Resurrection And Eternal Destiny Are Assured