Date written: 10/8/08
Scripture ref: Matthew 27:45-50
SUBJECT: Death of Jesus
TITLE: The Ninth Hour
PROPOSITION: The ninth hour is the hour of endurance, darkness, and death.
Objectives: To learn that Jesus endured these things so that we could overcome.
1. Read: Matthew 27:45-50
2. About the Text:
1) Mark 15:25 “And it was the third hour, and they crucified him”
2) Jesus hung on the cross for six hours.
3) When the ninth hour came, Jesus died.
4) What can we learn from “the ninth hour?”
3. Ref. to S, T, P, O, and A.
DISCUSSION: The ninth hour is the hour of . . .
1. Jesus came to this moment having suffered insults, injuries, blasphemies, railings, and torture.
2. Why did he do it?
3. Hebrews 12:2 says that “for the joy that was set before Him he endured the cross, despising the shame….”
4. Jesus joy was our salvation.
5. He endured so that we could have eternal life.
1. Matthew 27:45 says “Now from the sixth hour there was darkness over all the land unto the ninth hour.”
2. There was not only a literal darkness, but a symbolic one in the death of Jesus.
3. In Luke 22:53 Jesus said to his judges, “but this is your hour, and the power of darkness.”
4. But Jesus overcame the darkness so that we would not have to be subject to it.
5. Colossians 1:13 “Who hath delivered us from the power of darkness, and hath translated us into the kingdom of his dear Son”
1. Matthew 27:50 “Jesus, when he had cried again with a loud voice, yielded up the ghost.”
2. Why did Jesus have to die?
3. Hebrews 2:9 “But we see Jesus, who was made a little lower than the angels for the suffering of death, crowned with glory and honour; that he by the grace of God should taste death for every man.”
4. He died so that we could live.
5. Hebrews 2:14-15 “Forasmuch then as the children are partakers of flesh and blood, he also himself likewise took part of the same; that through death he might destroy him that had the power of death, that is, the devil; And deliver them who through fear of death were all their lifetime subject to bondage.”
1. The ninth hour is the hour that . . .
1) Jesus endured the pain.
2) Jesus outlasted the darkness.
3) Jesus overcame death.
2. What hour is it for you?
1) Are you in a time of pain and suffering?
2) Have you been affected by the darkness and wickedness of this world?
3) Perhaps you’ve been recently touched by death or worry about it.
3. Jesus’ message in the ninth hour is that …
1) You don’t have to endure the pain alone.
2) That you need not give in to the darkness.
3) That there is hope for life after death.