The Church – The Beautiful Bride of Christ
Jesus Married to the Church Sermon
A. The fact that Israel was God’s bride under the Old Testament is clearly taught in Jeremiah 3:14
1. But Israel was an unfaithful bride
a. In her unfaithfulness, she committed two basic sins
b. Jeremiah 2:13
1) Forsook God
2) Worshiped idols
2. Nevertheless, God pleaded with His bride to repent
a. Jeremiah 3:12-14
b. But Israel rejected the mercy of God
B. There came a time though when the Jews were free to remarry
1. The Jews, so long as the law of Moses was in existence was married to that law as their husband.
a. Notice Paul’s argument in Romans 7:1-4
1) If during its continuation they were to be married to another law, they would have been guilty of adultery
2) But if the first law were blotted out, or done away, then they are loosed from that law and are not adulterers, though they be married to another law.
b. Paul therefore said ……. Romans 7:4
1) They were married to what another? Unto “him,” but what “him?”
2) The answer is, “even to him who is raised from the dead.”
3) Thus a marriage was consummated between Christ and His church at His resurrection from the dead.
2. What is the objective of this marriage?
a. Paul teaches them that they are married unto Him who is raised from the dead.
b. Paul affirms that one of the purposes of this marriage is “that we should bring forth fruit unto God.”
3. The church of Christ, having becoming married to Christ, has the right to take upon themselves the name of the husband.
a. Also, the children who result from this union have the right to take on the name of the husband.
b. The children formed in this union have become beneficiaries of the Son of God, and are members of the body (Ephesians 5:20).
4. It is our highest privilege to become and to be members of the body of Christ.
5. It is a great honor to be a part of the beautiful bride of Christ
A. Christ and His Bride
1. All need to know and appreciate the very close relationship and the wonderful parallel between a husband and a wife and Christ and His church.
2. Isaiah predicted that God’s people would have a new name, better than that of a son or daughter, but a name that would suggest a divine union
a. Isaiah 56:5
b. Isaiah 62:1-2
c. Isaiah 65:15
3. In these verses we learn:
a. A new name was to be given in God’s house, one better than that of a son or daughter
b. The name was to be an everlasting name that would never change
c. It was to be given to both Jew and Gentile
d. It would be a name given by God Himself.
4. This new name was to be “Christian”
a. Acts 11:26
b. This new name would be given to any who would become married to Christ through their obedience to the Gospel.
B. There is One Bride, Thus there is One Church
1. The word “church” comes from ekklhsia meaning the “called out.”
a. The church is composed of those who have been “called out” of darkness and into the light of Jesus Christ.
b. Such a called out group of people are called the church in whatever location they find themselves
1) The church at Corinth (1 Corinthians 1:2)
2) The church at Thessalonica (1 Thessalonians 1:1)
3) The church at Galatia (Gal. 1:2)
3. There is only one church described in the New Testament as is seen in the following truths:
a. First, the church is the bride of Christ
1) John the baptizer said, “He that hath the bride is the bridegroom” (John 3:29).
2) Paul told the brethren that composed the church at Rome that they had “become dead to the law” and that they “should be married to another, even him who is raised from the dead.”
3) To the church at Ephesus, Paul said … Ephesians 5:23
4) Thus we learn that Christ is the husband and the church is His bride
5) There is just one husband and there is just one bride, Christ does not have more than one wife.
b. Secondly, Christ owns the church
1) Matthew 16:18 … built one church
2) Ephesians 5:25 … died for one church
c. Thirdly, the church is the body of Christ
1) Ephesians 1:22-23 … church = the body
2) Colossians 1:18 … church = the body
3) Ephesians 4:4 and 1 Corinthians 12:20 informs us that there is one body, thus there is but one church
C. Consider the Great Parallel Between Adam and Eve, and Christ and His Church.
1. In the beginning God brought Adam into existence
a. God made a help meet for him
b. Adam was put to sleep … rib taken … woman made
c. Adam and Eve was commanded to multiply and replenish the earth
2. Just as Eve was brought into existence by the process just described, in later centuries, when the fullness of time had come (Gal. 4:4), the church was formed.
a. As a deep sleep came over Adam, even so, after Jesus’ earthly ministry, Jesus was crucified.
b. While He slept the sleep of death, a Roman soldier pierced the side of our Lord and out came the blood that purchased the church
1) Acts 20:28
2) 1 Peter 1:18-19
c. Thus, the spiritual bride, the church, was purchased by the blood of Christ, and brought into existence in like manner as Eve, Adam’s bride.
D. The Church, as the Bride of Christ, Must Be Pure to Remain Beautiful.
1. Ephesians 5:25-27
a. Every Christian, and therefore, the entire church must “….adorn the doctrine of God our savior in all things” (Tit. 2:10).
b. Titus 2:1
2. The bride of Christ, the church, must be kept beautiful
a. We must maintain proper priorities … Matthew 6:33
b. We must practice the highest moral standards …..James 4:4
c. Preventative and corrective discipline must be practiced in the home and in the church
1) Proverbs 29:15-17
2) Titus 3:10-11
d. We must train our children properly … Ephesians 6:1-4
e. Christians must be cooperative … 1 Corinthians 3:9
f. We must know, teach and defend sound doctrine
1) Gal. 1:6-9
2) 2 Timothy 1:13
g. The bride must remember her wedding day and ever be faithful to it … Jeremiah 2:32
A. The church is the beautiful bride of Christ
B. Let us do our best to keep it that way
- Please tell me more about the bride of Christ.
- Does God honor all marriages?
- Christ's Resurrection Guarantees Our Own
- Want A Happy And Fruitful Marriage?
- A Comforting Daily Rhythm Of Life
- Calling On The Expert Repairman
- Can I divorce my husband because he is not the leader financially, emotionally, or physically?
- True Marriage Demands A Marriage Covenant