Sermon on Death – Death is…
Sermon on Death
A. Death, by definition, is a separation.
1. Physical death is the separation of the spirit from the body
a. Genesis 2:7
b. Thus when the spirit leaves this body of clay, so does life
2. Spiritual death, which is the second death (Rev. 20:6), is a separation of the soul from God
a. Isaiah 59:1-2
b. 2 Thessalonians 1:7-9
B. Death is life’s greatest mystery, therefore it is only natural for men to fear death.
1. Only the faithful Christian has reason to face death with confidence.
2. Even though a faithful Christian does not know everything about death, he doesn’t need to be afraid
a. Psalm 23:4
b. God has promised to protect us
1) 2 Chronicles 16:9
2) Psalm 91:4
C. Let us now look to the Scriptures and inform ourselves better concerning death.
A. DEATH IS AN ENDING
1. To the unbeliever it is indeed THE END.
a. The unbeliever or one who is unfaithful can see nothing beyond the grave.
b. Those who are unprepared for death have a horrible surprise coming
2. Luke 12:20a. The rich man found death to be THE END of his previous lifestyle
b. At death it is THE END – there will be no chances – that’s it, no more, it’s finished!
3. Hebrews 9:27
a. Death comes to all
b. Judgment follows death
4. But on the other hand …
B. DEATH IS A BEGINNING
1. For the unbelieving and unfaithful death is the beginning of eternal damnation.
a. Psalm 37:35-38
b. Matthew 25:41-46
2. For the faithful child of God death is the beginning of eternal life
a. 1 Thessalonians 4:13-18
b. John 14:1-3
C. DEATH IS INEVITABLE
1. No one can avoid death
a. There are a few exceptions:1) Enoch did not see death (Gen. 5:24)
2) Elijah did not see death (2 Kgs. 2:11)
3) Those that are alive when the Lord returns (1 The. 4:17)
b. But for the most part all will see death
2. Death will come to us all, as a whole
a. Job 30:23
b. Ecclesiastes 8:8
c. Hebrews 9:27
3. Even though death is inevitable …
D. DEATH IS UNCERTAIN
1. Many in past as well as in our present day try to predict the end of the world.
a. Men know nothing about the time, or death either.
b. Death is not only for the aged but for the young as well
c. Cemeteries are full of little boys and little girls who have met an untimely death
d. No one knows when death may knock at their door.
2. Isaac said, “I know not the day of my death” (Gen. 27:2)
3. Death is like the end of time
a. 1 Thessalonians 5:2
b. Death also comes as a thief in the night
E. DEATH IS A TRANSITION
1. Life holds many changes, but nothing compares to the change from the physical to the spiritual
2. 1 Corinthians 15:51-53
a. The wicked will become immortal …
1) Will not be burned up, will live forever in a burning fire
2) Will never be consumed by the fires of hell
3) Will suffer eternally
b. The righteous will also put on immortality
1) As a result of this, notice what the faithful Christian can say _ 1 Corinthians 15:55-57
2) This will be a marvelous transition for the faithful child of God
3. Revelation 21:4 … the physical things will be no more
F. DEATH IS THE GREAT EQUALIZER
1. In this life we see many “classes” of people.
a. Divisions are made because of:
3) Economic circumstances
4) Social status
b. But at death these kinds of divisions will cease
2. Luke 16:25
a. The rich man and Lazarus changed places, so to speak
b. There was a turnaround in fortune
3. 1 Timothy 6:7
a. We brought into this world exactly what we will take out – nothing
b. Job 1:21
c. Ecclesiastes 5:15
G. DEATH IS A CURSE
1. This is true for the majority who have ever lived
a. For those who have refused to obey God it would have been better for them never to have been born
b. Matthew 7:13-142.
2. Notice the torment that the Bible says will befall those are not faithful children of God
a. Psalm 11:6
b. Malachi 4:1
c. Matthew 18:9
d. 2 Peter 2:9
e. Revelation 14:11
H. DEATH IS A BLESSING
1. To the faithful few, death will be a blessing beyond our wildest dreams
2. 2 Timothy 4:7-8
3. Philippians 1:21
A. Instead of fearing death, we should live every day in such a way that we can say, as John did, “… even so, come, Lord Jesus” (Rev. 22:20).