Sermon on Love – The Highest Kind
Sermon on Love
Date written: 2/2/97
Scripture ref: 1 John 4:16
TITLE: Words of Encouragement–Love
PROPOSITION: In this sermon on love, we will briefly look at Love in the Bible. 1) God’s love for man; 2) Man’s love for God; 3) Man’s love for one another.
OBJECTIVES: The listener should be able to discuss the various relationships in which love is involved and cite one supporting scripture for each.
AIM: To encourage the brethren by helping them understand God’s love for them; to move the brethren to reciprocate that love to God and toward one another.
1. Read: 1 John 4:16 “God is love.”
2. About the Text:
1) God is the source of all good.
2) God is the source of all true love.
3) God loves and shows us how to love.
3. In the Greek NT there is,
1) Phileo – filial love.
2) Agapao – highest form of love.
4. Ref. to S, T, P, O, and A.
DISCUSSION: The biblical picture of love involves…
I. God’s Love for Man
1. Sacrifice–Romans 5:8–“God commendeth his own love . . .”
2. Extent –1 John 4:10–“Here is love . . .”
3. Scope–John 3:16–“For God so loved the world . . .”
4. Bond–Romans 8:35ff-read.
5. Illustration of atheist who wanted to feed the birds.
II. Man’s Love for God “Thou shalt love the Lord thy God…
1. The Great Commandment–Matthew 22:37 “Thou shalt love . . . “
2. How do we love God?–John 14:15 “If you love me . . .”
3. Why do we love God?–1 John 4:19 “We love him, because he first loved us.”
4. Love conquers all things–1 John 4:18 “Perfect love casteth out fear.”
5. Abraham was a man who loved God – Genesis 22
III. Man’s Love for One Another
1. Greatest Love–John 15:13 “Greater love hath no man than this, that a man lay down his life for his friends.”
2. New Commandment–John 13:34 “A new commandment I give unto you, That ye love one another; as I have loved you, that ye also love one another.”
3. God’s Love is our example–1 John 4:11 “Beloved, if God so loved us, we ought also to love one another.”
4. How do we love?–1 John 5:2 “By this we know that we love the children of God, when we love God, and keep his commandments.”
5. Saul and Jonathan 1 Samuel 18:1-4
6. Read 1 Corinthians 13:1-8
1) Insert God instead of love.
2) Now, insert your name instead of love.
1. Let us recognize the biblical picture of love . . .
1) God’s love for man.
2) Man’s love for God
3) Man’s love for one another.