I Am The Way The Truth and The Life Sermon
I Am The Way The Truth And The Life Sermon
TITLE: “I Am The Way, the Truth, and the Life”
PROPOSITION: Jesus is 1) The Way, 2) The Truth, and 3) The Life.
OBJECTIVES: Each person should understand the unique nature of these claims and understand that only through Jesus can one come to God the Father.
AIM: I hope to explain to each hearer the exclusive nature of the gospel of Jesus Christ.
1. Read: John 14:4-6 “And whither I go ye know, and the way ye know. Thomas saith unto him, Lord, we know not whither thou goest; and how can we know the way? Jesus saith unto him, I am the way the truth and the life: no man cometh unto the Father, but by me.”
2. About the Text:
1) On the eve of Jesus crucifixion he sits down with his disciples to have the Passover meal with them.
2) During this evening, Judas arises to betray Him.
3) Jesus told the disciples that he would be betrayed and then put to death.
4) Jesus comforts His disciples by giving them the knowledge that they would need to make it through this time.
5) He speaks concerning the place where He is going (v.1).
6) He tells them that this place is prepared for them as well (v.3).
7) Thomas in essence asks “How do we get there, what is the way?”
8) Jesus answer is known as one of the most beloved and quoted scriptures to the faithful.
9) “I am the way, the truth, and the life.”
3. I AM series.
1) Here is another great “I am” statement from the book of John.
2) The “I am” statements indicate to us WHO Jesus was.
3) They also tell us more about WHO God is (John 1:18).
4) These statements are exclusive in nature.
4. Ref. to S, T, P, O, and A.
I. Jesus Is The Way
1. There are only two ways.
1) Deuteronomy 30:15-20 Life and Good AND death and evil.
2) Two masters Matthew 6:24 “No man can serve two masters: for either he will hate the one, and love the other; or else he will hold to the one, and despise the other. Ye cannot serve God and mammon.”
3) Two gates and ways. Matthew 7:13, 14 “Enter ye in at the strait gate: for wide is the gate, and broad is the way, that leadeth to destruction, and many there be which go in thereat: Because strait is the gate, and narrow is the way, which leadeth unto life, and few there be that find it.”
2. This way is the strait way.
1) The word strait means “narrow” or “difficult.”
2) As we just read in Matthew 7:13, 14 Jesus way is a strait way–a narrow way.
3) Being a Christian is a struggle.
a. Jude 3 “Beloved, when I gave all diligence to write unto you of the common salvation, it was needful for me to write unto you, and exhort you that ye should earnestly contend for the faith which was once delivered unto the saints.” (agnonizomai — agnonize.)
b. Ephesians 6:2 “For our wrestling is not against flesh and blood, but against the principalities, against the powers, against the world-rulers of this darkness, against the spiritual hosts of wickedness in the heavenly places.”
4) Being a Christian requires effort and sacrifice. Luke 9:23 ” And he said to them all, If any man will come after me, let him deny himself, and take up his cross daily, and follow me.”
3. This is “the way” of Christians.
1) Acts 16:17 “The same followed Paul and us, and cried, saying, These men are the servants of the most high God, which shew unto us the way of salvation.”
2) Acts 18:26 “And he began to speak boldly in the synagogue: whom when Aquila and Priscilla had heard, they took him unto them, and expounded unto him the way of God more perfectly.”
3) Acts 24:14 “But this I confess unto thee, that after the way which they call heresy, so worship I the God of my fathers, believing all things which are written in the law and in the prophets:”
4. This is “the way” to heaven.
1) Matthew 7:14 “Because strait is the gate, and narrow is the way, which leadeth unto life, and few there be that find it.”
2) Those that walk this road will receive eternal life. Romans 2:7 “To them who by patient continuance in well doing seek for glory and honour and immortality, eternal life:”
II. Jesus Is The Truth
1. Jesus is the Word of God.
1) John 1:1, 14
2) John 8:31 “If you continue in my word then are you my disciples indeed.”
2. The Word of God is truth.
1) John 17:17 “Sanctify them in thy truth; thy word is truth.”
2) Psalm 119:160 ASV “The sum of thy word is truth; And every one of thy righteous ordinances endureth for ever.”
3) 1 Thessalonians 2:13 “For this cause also thank we God without ceasing, because, when ye received the word of God which ye heard of us, ye received it not as the word of men, but as it is in truth, the word of God, which effectually worketh also in you that believe.”
3. The truth makes us free from sin.
1) John 8:32 “Ye shall know the truth . . . .”
2) Romans 8:2 “For the law of the Spirit of life in Christ Jesus hath made me free from the law of sin and death.”
3) Gal. 5:1 “Stand fast therefore in the liberty wherewith Christ hath made us free, and be not entangled again with the yoke of bondage.”
4. The truth brings us to heaven.
1) Those who live by the truth have their names in the book of life. Philippians 4:3 “And I intreat thee also, true yokefellow, help those women which laboured with me in the gospel, with Clement also, and with other my fellowlabourers, whose names are in the book of life.”
2) Those who overcome will remain in the book of life. Rev. 3:5 “He that overcometh, the same shall be clothed in white raiment; and I will not blot out his name out of the book of life, but I will confess his name before my Father, and before his angels.”
3) Those who reject the truth will not be found in the book of life. Revelation 20:5 “And whosoever was not found written in the book of life was cast into the lake of fire.”
III. Jesus Is The Life
1. Without Him there is no life.
1) He is creator. John 1:1ff
2) Upholds all things by the word of his power. Hebrews 1:3
3) In him all things consist. Colossians 1:17 “And he is before all things, and by him all things consist.”
2. There is however, a great death coming.
1) This death is the result of sin. Romans 6:23
2) This death is eternal separation from God. Revelation 21:8 “But the fearful, and unbelieving, and the abominable, and murderers, and whoremongers, and sorcerers, and idolaters, and all liars, shall have their part in the lake which burneth with fire and brimstone: which is the second death.”
3) The ungodly shall suffer this second death. “But the heavens and the earth, which are now, by the same word are kept in store, reserved unto fire against the day of judgment and perdition of ungodly men.” (2 Peter 3:7).
3. He gives salvation from the second death–this is LIFE ETERNAL!
1) Romans 6:23 “For the wages of sin is death; but the gift of God is eternal life through Jesus Christ our Lord”
2) Hebrews 7:25 ” Wherefore he is able also to save them to the uttermost that come unto God by him, seeing he ever liveth to make intercession for them.”
3) John 10:10 “The thief cometh not, but for to steal, and to kill, and to destroy: I am come that they might have life, and that they might have it more abundantly.”
CONCLUSION:Jesus said, “I am the way, the truth, and the life.”
1. The rest of the story.
1) Jesus statement after proclaiming that he was the way, the truth and the life was as follows: “No man cometh to the Father but by me.”
2) This is an exceptive statement. It means all and only.
3) All those who come by Jesus may come to the Father and only those who come by Jesus may come to the Father.
4) If the opposite is true–if there are other ways to God than through Jesus, then these statements simply cannot be true.
5) Jesus is THE ONLY way to God today.
6) Will you follow Him as He is THE WAY, THE TRUTH, and THE LIFE?!
1) If you are a Christian but have fallen away
a. What other way do you think you can pursue and be pleasing to God? What other truth? What other life?
b. Come back to the one and only way today.
2) If you are not a Christian this morning . . .
a. You need to heed the way that Jesus preached; you need to follow the way that Paul followed.
b. You need to heed the way for man’s salvation today!
a) Hear the word; Romans 10:17 “Faith comes by hearing . . .”
b) Believe with all your heart; Hebrews 11:6 “For without faith it is impossible . . . .”
c) Repent of your sins (Acts 17:30).
d) Confess Jesus as the Son of God (Matthew 16:16).
e) Be baptized for the remission of your sins (Mark 16:15-16).