A. You have heard the term: “magnetic personality”
1. The idea of a personality being “magnetic” and drawing people to them comes from the principle of a magnet -which has drawing power
2. On can place a magnet into a box or sack of nails, and nails will be drawn to the magnet, and cling to it
B. Did you know that the Almighty has ways of drawing people to Him as a magnet draws nails
C. The Bible reveal four ways that people are drawn to God
A. PEOPLE ARE DRAWN TO GOD BY CHRIST’S DEATH
1. John 12:32-33
2. There is drawing power in the blood of Jesus that was shed of Calvary
a. Song: “Power in the Blood”
Would you be free from the burden of sin?
There is power in the blood, power in the blood
Would you o’er evil a victory win
There is wonderful power in the blood
b. It was necessary that Christ die of the cross and shed His blood in order that man might be drawn to God
1) Animal blood was offered under the Law of Moses – but this could not drawn men to God
2) It took the death of God’s Son to put this drawing power into effect
3. Christ’s death draws us in two ways:
a. It opens the door to God
1) In answering Nicodemus’ question of doubt _ John 3:10-16
2) This is why Jesus says _ John 10:9
3) John 14:6
b. Secondly, Christ’s death appeals to honest hearts who are touched with such a sacrifice
1) Romans 5:8-10
2)Knowing that Christ died for us should draw us to God through our obedience to the cross of Christ
3) 2 Corinthians 5:14
B. PEOPLE ARE DRAWN TO GOD BY GOOD WORKS
1. Matthew 5:16
2. Good deeds touch the hearts of the needy, and others who see good deeds as third parties
a. Good works soften hearts
b. Good works arouse interest
3. The world must see by our good works that we care
4. It is God’s will that we be involved in good works _Galatians 6:10
a. The text teaches that we are to have special concern toward other Christians
b. It also teaches that we are to be concerned with those who are not Christians
5. Good works are in keeping with God’s goodness, and the goodness of Christians
6. When we engage in good works that God authorizes, it is actually God at work through us, as He enables us to work
a. 2 Corinthians 9:8
b. It is God who multiplies the seed sown _ 2 Corinthians 9:10
c. Then, doing good enables God to be glorified through thanksgiving _ 2 Corinthians 9:11-13
C. PEOPLE ARE DRAWN TO GOD BY A GOOD LIFE
1. 1 Peter 3:1-4
a. By one’s faithfulness they may convert their unbelieving spouse
b. Our manner of life teaches more than do our words
2. Even though people have Bibles, or access to Bibles, few read them with any regularity
a. Consequently, the good life of a Christian is the only Bible many will ever read, that may in turn cause them to read the written Bible
b. Song: “The World’s Bible”
Christ has no hands but our hand to do His work today.
He has no feet but our feet to lead men in his way;
He has no tongue but our tongue to tell men how he died,
He has no help but our help to bring them to His side.
We are the only Bible this careless world will read,
We are the sinner’s gospel, we are the scoffer’s creed
We are the Lord’s last message given in deed and word
What if the type is crooked? What if the print is blurred?
What if our hands are busy with other things than this?
What if our feet are walking where sin’s allurement is?
What if our tongues are speaking of things His life would spurn;
How can we hope to help Him and welcome His return?
3. By a good life people can be influenced to want to go to God
a. Paul so lived that the world could see Christ living in him
b. Galatians 2:20
c. If Paul lied, gossiped, lacked love, or was involved inany number of other sins, the world would not have seen Christ living in him
d. Such conduct would have driven people away God and cause lost souls to remain lost
4. Now, a regular magnet actually has two powers – drawing power and repelling power
a. The drawing power is seen when it pulls small metal objects to it
b. Its repelling power is seen when it pushes something away
c. A magnet has a positive and a negative side
5. Many times, if we are not careful we can be like the negative side of a magnet – pushing people away from the Lord
a. Are you pushing people away from the Lord by your conduct or your speech?
b. What a tragedy to live in such a way as to repel people rather than draw them to the Lord
c. What if everyone acted just like you?
d. What kind of influence do you have?
D. PEOPLE ARE DRAWN TO GOD BY THE WORD
1. John 6:44-45
2. Though people may be drawn to God by Christ’s death, good works, and good living, it is the message of the gospel that has already caused some to do good works and to engage in good living, and that will then detail God’s will and requirements for others to know what to do to be saved.
3. In obeying the word of God, people are moving toward God
a. In believing, one is coming toward God _ Hebrews 11:6
b. In repenting of sin, one is coming toward God _ 2 Corinthians 7:9-10
c. In confessing faith in Christ, one is coming toward God_ Romans 10:9-10
d. In being baptized, one reaches the destination – meeting God “in Christ” _ Galatians 3:27
A. Are you having any part in God’s way of drawing people to Him?