Acts 1

For studies in the book of Acts.

Moderator: Teachers

Re: Acts 1

Postby Just_Christian » Wed Sep 05, 2007 9:56 am

Joe May wrote:...
What is your take on Luke? Just who was he and when did he come into the church? Any thoughts?
It blew my mind recently when someone suggested he was a Gentile, but they had a Scriptural backing. (If I remember the verse, I'll post it). I had just assumed he was Jewish....
Colossians 4:10-14
    Col 4:10 Aristarchus, my fellow prisoner, sends you his greetings; and also Barnabas's cousin Mark (about whom you received instructions; if he comes to you, welcome him);
    Col 4:11 and also Jesus who is called Justus; these are the only fellow workers for the kingdom of God who are from the circumcision, and they have proved to be an encouragement to me.
    Col 4:12 Epaphras, who is one of your number, a bondslave of Jesus Christ, sends you his greetings, always laboring earnestly for you in his prayers, that you may stand perfect and fully assured in all the will of God.
    Col 4:13 For I testify for him that he has a deep concern for you and for those who are in Laodicea and Hierapolis.
    Col 4:14 Luke, the beloved physician, sends you his greetings, and also Demas. (NASB).
The persons listed with Paul as sending greetings "from the circumcision" = Jews are Aristarchus, Mark, and Jesus/Justus.

Epaphras, Luke, and Demas are mentioned after that. This is why it is believed that Luke was a Gentile.

As for when Luke became part of the church, Acts 16:1-11 is interesting:
    Act 16:1 And he came also to Derbe and to Lystra: and behold, a certain disciple was there, named Timothy, the son of a Jewess that believed; but his father was a Greek.
    Act 16:2 The same was well reported of by the brethren that were at Lystra and Iconium.
    Act 16:3 Him would Paul have to go forth with him; and he took and circumcised him because of the Jews that were in those parts: for they all knew that his father was a Greek.
    Act 16:4 And as they went on their way through the cities, they delivered them the decrees to keep which had been ordained of the apostles and elders that were at Jerusalem.
    Act 16:5 So the churches were strengthened in the faith, and increased in number daily.
    Act 16:6 And they went through the region of Phrygia and Galatia, having been forbidden of the Holy Spirit to speak the word in Asia;
    Act 16:7 and when they were come over against Mysia, they assayed to go into Bithynia; and the Spirit of Jesus suffered them not;
    Act 16:8 and passing by Mysia, they came down to Troas.
    Act 16:9 And a vision appeared to Paul in the night: There was a man of Macedonia standing, beseeching him, and saying, Come over into Macedonia, and help us.
    Act 16:10 And when he had seen the vision, straightway we sought to go forth into Macedonia, concluding that God had called us to preach the gospel to them.
    Act 16:11 Setting sail therefore from Troas, we made a straight course to Samothrace, and the day following to Neapolis; (ASV)
It looks like Luke joined Paul's missionary travels at Troas. Before then, it was "they" and then after it was "we."

Troas was first arrived at by Paul during his second missionary journey, which this narrates part of. Lystra and Derbe were arrived at in Paul's first missionary journey; this seems to be when Timothy was made a disciple, and he was circumcised by Paul during the second journey. Luke may have become a Christian within this passage.

This would have been within a year or two of the A.D. 49 or 50 Jerusalem Council of Acts 15. If Luke was converted by Paul's missionary efforts at Troas, it would have happened in the range of A.D. 50-52.
Just_Christian

Postby Amity » Wed Sep 05, 2007 6:35 pm

Joe May wrote:Who did the teaching? Everyone did. Would that we could go back to that pattern today!

Amen.

Acts 7:3-4
But Saul was ravaging the church, and entering house after house, he dragged off men and women and committed them to prison. Now those who were scattered went about preaching the word.
Amity

Postby Bill Medart » Fri Oct 19, 2007 12:03 am

Joe May wrote:JC-
I think your reasonining is probably sound. You've done some research on this for certain! I haven't dedicated a great deal of time to this, being bi-vocational and having to focus on doctrine for sermons. I appreciate your imput and look forward to more as this class progresses.
What is your take on Luke? Just who was he and when did he come into the church? Any thoughts?
It blew my mind recently when someone suggested he was a Gentile, but they had a Scriptural backing. (If I remember the verse, I'll post it). I had just assumed he was Jewish.
Thoughts on our author Luke anyone? What of JC's studied opinion on the date?

My NASB has a short introductory preceeding each book and it agrees with J.C.'s opinion of the date (AD 59-63). I always assumed that Luke was a Gentile (probably Greek) was well educated in Greek culture and a physician by trade. He explained Jewish customs and practices very well and traced the geneology of Jesus back to Adam. Matthew, a Jew, only traced the geneology back to Abraham. Luke seems to write with a Gentile perspective inasmuch as he wanted to give the "true and complete" story of Jesus' life.

My favorite of the gospel accounts!
For there is one God, and one mediator also between God and men, the man Christ Jesus, 1 Tim 2:5
Bill Medart

Postby ollie » Wed Oct 24, 2007 8:38 am

Luke claims "perfect understanding of all things from the very first". Luke 1:3

Thus his writing to Theophilus that Theophilus might know the certainty of the things Luke has understood from the first and Theophilus has been instructed. Luke 1:4

Theophilus translates, from the Greek, Strong's 2321, a friend of God. It would seem from this that Luke writes to all who would believe God, His Christ and His Gospel.

Luke also reveals that after the Christ was taken up that He through the Holy Ghost gave commandments to the apostles He chose. Acts 1:2

ollie
Herein is love, not that we loved God, but that he loved us, and sent his Son to be the propitiation for our sins.
ollie

Postby kusuma Isaac » Tue May 20, 2008 7:37 pm

Where are the

Sunday Worshipping Churches

in the entire New Testament in First Century?

( To All Church Of Christ Preachers on the Globe )

I could not find any Sunday worshipping Church in the entire New Testament. Why all these false preachers, (especially Church of Christ ) boast themselves that the early apostles were Sunday worshippers? Where is the proof for it?

After the impalement of Yahshua Mesiah the early assembly rested on Sabbath day only:

Proof No 1:

Luk 23:56 And they returned, and prepared spices and ointments; and rested the sabbath day according to the commandment.

Like that there were at about 7 sabbaths after Passover for Pentecost: So they gathered there at Pentecost:

0 Nisan 17th Lu 23:56 And they returned, and prepared spices and ointments;

and rested the sabbath day according to the commandment.

1. Nisan 24th …..1st Sabbath day………. Sabbath Worship continued,

2. Ziv 1st ………..2nd Sabbath day………. Sabbath Worship continued,

3. Ziv 8th ………..3rd Sabbath day………. Sabbath Worship continued,

4. Ziv 15th ………4th Sabbath day………. Sabbath Worship continued,

5. Ziv 22nd ………5th Sabbath day………. Sabbath Worship continued,

6. Ziv 29th ……...6th Sabbath day………. Sabbath Worship continued,

7. Sivan 7th …….7th Sabbath day………. Sabbath Worship continued,

Sivan 8th was….Pentecost [This was an annual Sabbath day for Israelites]

Proof No 2:

Act 2:1 And when the day of Pentecost was fully come, they were all with one accord in one place.

The New Testament Hero was Apostle Saul: So where he preached? Now we can see: Soon after his conversion, he began preaching in Synogogues only:

Proof No 3:

He preached in Damascus Synogogues

Act 9:20 And straightway he preached Messiah in the synagogues, that he is the Son of Elohim.

Proof No 4:

He preached in Jerusalem Synogogues:

Act 9:26 And when Saul was come to Jerusalem, he assayed to join himself to the disciples: but they were all afraid of him, and believed not that he was a disciple.

Act 9:27 But Barnabas took him, and brought him to the apostles, and declared unto them how he had seen Yahweh in the way, and that he had spoken to him, and how he had preached boldly at Damascus in the name of Yahshua.

Act 9:28 And he was with them coming in and going out at Jerusalem.

Act 9:29 And he spake boldly in the name of the Sovereign Yahshua, and disputed against the Grecians: but they went about to slay him.

Proof No 5:

He preached in Salamis Synogogues:

Act 13:5 And when they were at Salamis, they preached the word of Elohim in the synagogues of the Jews: and they had also John to their minister.

Proof No 6:

He preached in Pisidia Antioach Synogogue:

Act 13:14 But when they departed from Perga, they came to Antioch in Pisidia, and went into the synagogue on the sabbath day, and sat down.

Proof No 7:

He preached in Iconium Synogogue:

Act 14:1 And it came to pass in Iconium, that they went both together into the synagogue of the Jews, and so spake, that a great multitude both of the Jews and also of the Greeks believed.

Proof No 8:

He preached in Philippi Synogogue:

Act 16:13 And on the sabbath we went out of the city by a river side, where prayer was wont to be made; and we sat down, and spake unto the women which resorted thither.

Proof No 9:

He preached in Thessalonican Synogogue:

Act 17:1 Now when they had passed through Amphipolis and Apollonia, they came to Thessalonica, where was a synagogue of the Jews:

Act 17:2 And Saul, as his manner was, went in unto them, and three sabbath days reasoned with them out of the scriptures,

Proof No 10:

He preached in Berean Synogogue:

Act 17:10 And the brethren immediately sent away Saul and Silas by night unto Berea: who coming thither went into the synagogue of the Jews.

Act 17:11 These were more noble than those in Thessalonica, in that they received the word with all readiness of mind, and searched the scriptures daily, whether those things were so.

Proof No 11:

He disputed in Jewish Synogogues:

Act 17:17 Therefore disputed he in the synagogue with the Jews, and with the devout persons, and in the market daily with them that met with him.

Proof No 12:

He preached in Corinthians Synogogues:

Act 18:4 And he reasoned in the synagogue every sabbath, and persuaded the Jews and the Greeks. (1 and half year he was there.)

Proof No 13:

He preached in Ephesus Synogogue:

Act 18:19 And he came to Ephesus, and left them there: but he himself entered into the synagogue, and reasoned with the Jews.

Proof No 14:

He preached in Philippi Synogogue:

Act 20:6 And we sailed away from Philippi after the days of unleavened bread, and came unto them to Troas in five days; where we abode seven days.

Proof No 15:

He preached in Troas Synogogue: ( Continued after the Sabbath .. )

Act 20:7 on Saturday evening, when the disciples came together to break bread, Saul preached unto them, ready to depart on the morrow; and continued his speech until midnight.

Proof No 16:

He preached in Ephesus in Asia Synogogues:

Act 20:31 Therefore watch, and remember, that by the space of three years I ceased not to warn every one night and day with tears.

Proof No 17:

He went for praying in Jerusalem Synogogue:

Act 22:17 And it came to pass, that, when I was come again to Jerusalem, even while I prayed in the synogogue, I was in a trance;

Proof No 18:

He went up to Jerusalem Synogogue for worship and prayer:

Act 24:11 Because that thou mayest understand, that there are yet but twelve days since I went up to Jerusalem for to worship.

Proof No 19:

He went to Jerusalem for feasts too:

For Feast Of Tabernacles: Act 18:21 But bade them farewell, saying, I must by all means keep this feast that cometh in Jerusalem: but I will return again unto you, if Elohim will. And he sailed from Ephesus.

For Feast of Pentecost: Act 20:16 For Saul had determined to sail by Ephesus, because he would not spend the time in Asia: for he hasted, if it were possible for him, to be at Jerusalem the day of Pentecost.

For Feast of Pentecost: 1Co 16:8 But I will tarry at Ephesus until Pentecost.

Proof No 20:

He never spoke against any Jewish Synogogue:

Act 25:8 While he answered for himself, Neither against the law of the Jews, neither against the Synogogue, nor yet against Caesar, have I offended any thing at all.

Proof No 21:

He tortured all who believe in Messiah in Synogogues only: This clearly shows that all the people who believed Messiah as their saviour they only worshipped on Sabbath days in Synogogues only.

Act 22:19 And I said, Sovereign, they know that I imprisoned and beat in every synagogue them that believed on thee:

Act 26:11 And I punished them oft in every synagogue, and compelled them to blaspheme; and being exceedingly mad against them, I persecuted them even unto strange cities.

Act 9:13 Then Ananias answered, Sovereign, I have heard by many of this man, how much evil he hath done to thy saints (Not Christians) at Jerusalem: ( In Jerusalem Synogogue )

Proof No 22:

He ordained elders in every Synogogue:

Act 14:23 And when they had ordained them elders in every synogogue, and had prayed with fasting, they commended them to Yahweh, on whom they believed.

So dear Sunday Worshippers, stop your boasting and show me your Sunday Worshipping Chuch in the entire New Testament.

I have given you 22 proofs: You give me like that where the Apostles in the First Century worshipped on Sunday.

Don't get angry….. But try to answer point by point.

Ecc 7:9 Be not hasty in thy spirit to be angry: for anger resteth in the bosom of fools.

Jam 1:20 For the wrath of man worketh not the righteousness of Elohim.

Yrs in His service

Bro. Isaac E. Kusuma

Bro. Isaac E. Kusuma
AOTLE-India
MALIKIPURAM - 533 253
E.G.Dist., AP., India
http://www.aotle-india.org
kusuma Isaac

Ap. Saul's Timeline

Postby kusuma Isaac » Tue May 20, 2008 7:51 pm

Post removed because of DMCA Take Down Request (11-21-13).

G. E. Watkins
kusuma Isaac

Ap. Saul's Time line

Postby kusuma Isaac » Tue May 20, 2008 8:16 pm

I need replies for this article
kusuma Isaac

Postby Weylan Deaver » Wed May 21, 2008 8:47 am

Kusuma Isaac,

If you want replies, then people need to read your posts, but your posts are, in my opinion, far too lengthy. If you have a question, can you condense it to a paragraph?

That the Lord's church worshiped on Sunday is a matter of New Testament teaching and historic record (see Acts 20:7, 1 Corinthians 16:1-2, etc.), as well as extra-biblical literature.

The fact that Paul preached Christ in Jewish synagogues on Saturday does not mean Christians were not worshiping in their own assemblies on Sunday. It is right to preach Christ on any day of the week, and Paul took advantage of the fact that Jews gathered on Saturday in their synagogues. The next day--Sunday--would find Paul worshiping with his Christian brothers in the church.
Weylan Deaver

Re: Ap. Saul's Time line

Postby Matt Clifton » Wed May 21, 2008 10:20 am

kusuma Isaac wrote:I need replies for this article

Greetings Kusuma,

Welcome to the board. My first reply to your post would be, "What translation of the Bible are you using?" There appear to be some instances of mistranslation in the version you are using, such as putting "synagogue" in place of "church" or "the called out" (ἐκκλησία, ekklēsia) in Acts 14:23.

When you answer this question, perhaps we can look at some of your questions.

God bless!

Matt
Matt Clifton
Teacher

Postby Don Gelles » Wed May 21, 2008 11:03 am

Hello Kusuma,

I received your email. Since the email you sent to me is the same as that posted on this thread I will do my responding here.

I am curious about the translation you are using. Could you please tell us what it is. I ask because some of the words you are using are not found in the text. let me give you an example:
You wrote: When were people first called Messianics?
The Bible says: They were first called Christians in Acts 11:26. The Greek word used is Χριστιανός (Christianos) not messianics.

Messianics is a term used for those who are Jewish and accept Jesus as the Christ, the Messiah. Are you trying to say that we need to become Jews or hold to the Law first and on top of that add Jesus? This type of belief is refuted in Acts 15. Some wanted it in Acts 15:5 but it is shown to be of no need in Acts 15:7-11 and also Acts 15:28-29. In addition to this, the Bible teaches that God has taken the two (Jew and Gentile) and made them one through Christ and made them into one new man and reconciled them to God in one new body-the Church of Christ (Epehsians 2:15-16 / Epehsians 1:22-23). This same teaching is found in Galatians 3:24-29 where Paul teaches that the Law was a tutor bring them to Christ and that in Christ all are made one (regardless of their birth). Thus Paul can say that the Jew and Gentile are both Abrahams decendents because of (or through, or in) Jesus, Galatians 3:29. Based on these teachings of scripture there is no need for one to hold to the law and add Christ.

In closing I will add, that the preachers of the first century did preach Christ in the Synagogues. There is support for this is scripture. But that the Lord's Church seperated themselves for first day of the week worship is supported in Acts 20:7 along with 1 Corinthians 16:1-2. You made mentioned in your post about the disciples meeting in synagogues but some of the verses you use make no mentione to a sysnagogue and in relation to that- you confuse the origin of the Church. Not until acts chapter 2 do we see the Church established and God adding the saved to it (Acts 2:47).

I hope this helps us to come to a starting point.

Kindly,
Don
"... The churches of Christ greet you." Romans 16:16

Don Gelles
Preacher, Church of Christ in Hyde Park
Austin, Texas
http://www.hydeparkcoc.org
Don Gelles
Teacher

PreviousNext

Return to Acts of the Apostles