Repetition in the Bible

For saying "Howdy!" and "How's the weather over there?" and "What's your name, partner?"

Moderator: Teachers

Repetition in the Bible

Postby JLH » Wed Jul 01, 2009 2:41 am

Hello brethren!

Today I ran across an outline for a class a gave a few months back on repetition in the Bible. I’d like to give it again someday, I wanted to share the outline with you all and ask if there is something I missed you might help me add, any other examples of this kind of obvious repetition in the Bible.

I started with the repetition in Hebrew poetry, something I just started reading about. We used Psalm 51 as an example, in the first several verses David basically says the same thing twice each time using different words. I would love to hear more about this from anyone on this forum who has studied Hebrew poetry.

Then all kinds of direct repetition, of phrases and/or words, some for emphasis, some for deep emotion, some in vain repetition.

Isaiah 28:10, 13--”sav lasav sav lasav, kav lakav kav lakav”

Jeremiah 7:4--”the temple of the Lord, the temple of the Lord, the temple of the Lord.”

8:11--”peace, peace”

23:25--”I had a dream, I had a dream!”

Psalm 22--”My God, my God” and of course “Eli, Eli” in the gospels

Psalm 136--”For His lovingkindness is everlasting” in each verse

Ecclesiastes--”Vanity of vanities! All is vanity.”

Gal 1, preaching another gospel, Phil 4, rejoice, Paul says, I will say it again!--says 2x

Lord, Lord--Matt 7:21-22, Luke 6:46

Matthew 20:30-31--”Lord, son of David, have mercy on us!” 2x

Matthew 23:37--”O Jerusalem, Jerusalem”

“Amen amen lego”, the well-known “verily verily I say”. Interesting the amen is always doubled in John only. Anyone read anything/have any ideas as to why? I do love the sound of “Amen amen lego umin” (say unto you plural)

Finally, barbarian/barbaros, echoing the sound of repeated syllables “bar-bar”--to sound like someone who speaks a language you can’t understand. I think this really sheds light on passages like Romans 1:14 and Colossians 3:11--we are obligated to such people and are blessed that many are part of the body!

Anything else as far as repetition? I would appreciate any input! I really enjoyed this study, this is just the outline, but thinking about the application of each verse was really powerful, and the repetition brings it home and helps you remember!
JLH

Return to Welcome and Conversation