Sermon on the Authority of the Bible
INTRODUCTION: Read 1 Corinthians 4:6
1. In dealing with the Corinthian brethren’s tendency to render judgment upon one another based on the wisdom of men Paul gives a basic principle that needs to be heeded today as much as ever.
2. The need for this principle is seen in the great division in the religious world today.
3. The principle implies this:
1) God’s written word is FINAL on any matter it teaches. John 17:17
2) The wisdom of man is insufficient. Jeremiah 10:23
4. To understand why we must not go beyond what is written we must understand:
1) The nature of what is written.
2) The effects of going beyond what is written.
3) The rewards of not going beyond what is written.
DISCUSSION: Do not go beyond what is written…
I. BECAUSE OF THE NATURE OF WHAT IS WRITTEN.
1. The commandments of the Lord. 1 Corinthians 14:37
2. Scriptures. 2 Peter 3:16
3. Inspired of God. 2 Timothy 3:16-17; Exodus 20
II. BECAUSE OF THE EFFECTS OF GOING BEYOND WHAT IS WRITTEN.
1. God left a lesson in the case of Uzzah. 2 Samuel 6:1-9; 1 Chronicles 15:11-15
2. The loss of relationship with God. 2 John 9-11
3. Goes beyond faith. Hebrews 11:6; Romans 10:17; Romans 14:23; Romans 6:23; Isaiah 59:1-2
4. Goes beyond the authority of Christ.
1) Christ has all authority. Matthew 28:18
2) Must do and say all things by His authority. Colossians 3:17; Luke 10:17; James 5:10; Acts 4:7
III. BECAUSE OF THE REWARDS OF NOT GOING BEYOND.
1. Hezekiah refused to go beyond. 2 Kings 18:1-6
2. Unity with brethren. Amos 3:3; John 17:20-21; 1 Corinthians 1:10
3. No surprises on the Day of Judgment. John 12:48; Proverbs 30:5-6
4. We will be obedient, profitable servants. Deuteronomy 4:2; Matthew 7:21-23
CONCLUSION: Do not go beyond what is written.
1. This principle obeyed would stop apostate activities in the church.
1) Fellowship with denominations.
2) Instrumental music and other musical aberrations.
3) Children’s church.
4) Women as elders and deacons.
5) Sanction of divorces for reasons other than fornication.
6) The employment of gimmickry, instead of the Gospel, to gain members.
7) Employment of organizations outside the church to its work.
2. This principle obeyed would kill denominationalism.
1) No more one-man-pastor system.
2) No more raising funds by any means.
3) No more pope in Rome or apostle in Salt Lake City.
4) No more clergy/laity.
5) No more infant baptism.
6) No more creeds, manuals, confessions or catechisms.
7) No more names other than Christ’s.
3. Brethren, let’s stay with the book, not adding to it or taking away from it.