Sermon on Living Righteously | Christian Righteousness
Sermon on Living Righteously
Date written: August 15, 1992
Scripture ref: Titus 2:11,12
SUBJECT: Daily Living
TITLE: Christian Righteousness
PROPOSITION: To teach the Christians attitude toward other people.
OBJECTIVE: That the people will begin living righteously.
1. Read: Titus 2:11,12
2. About the Text:
1) The grace of God saves men.
2) How does it save? It teaches.
3) What does it teach?
a. Negatives-Deny ungodliness and worldly lusts (desires).
b. Positives-Live soberly and righteously and godly in this present world (age).
3. This week we will discuss living righteously.
1) This word “rightously” is from a greek word “dikaiw”.
2) This word has two senses.
a. One of the senses is the word we know-righteous
b. The other sense is in the word just
3) The meaning
a. Righteousness can only come from God–“For Jehovah is righteous; he loveth righteousness.” (Psalm 11:7).
b. Justice also comes from God. Deuteronomy32:4 “He is the Rock, his work is perfect: for all his ways are judgment: a God of truth and without iniquity, just and right is Hebrews”
c. But although these things come from God, justice and righteousness is practiced toward our fellow man.
d. So to be righteous is to have the right attitude toward others.
4. Reference to S,T,P,O.
DISCUSSION: If we are going to be righteous then we must be righteous toward…
I. Our Brethren
1. We must love them. 1 Peter 2:17 “Love the brotherhood.”
1) We must love them enough to tell them the truth even when they do not want it. Gal.6:14 “Am I become your enemy because I tell you the truth?”
2) Sometimes the truth hurts both parties. 2 Corinthians7:8-12 “For though I made you sorry with a letter, I do not repent, though I did repent: for I perceive that the same epistle hath made you sorry, though it were but for a season. Now I rejoice, not that ye were made sorry, but that ye sorrowed to repentance: for ye were made sorry after a godly manner, that ye might receive damage by us in nothing. For godly sorrow worketh repentance to salvation not to be repented of: but the sorrow of the world worketh death. For behold this selfsame thing, that ye sorrowed after a godly sort, what carefulness it wrought in you, yea, what clearing of yourselves, yea, what indignation, yea, what fear, yea, what vehement desire, yea, what zeal, yea, what revenge! In all things ye have approved yourselves to be clear in this matter.”
3) 1 John 4:7-11 Read.
2. We must encourage them.
1) Through exhortation. Hebrews3:13
2) Through remembrance. 2 Peter 1:12,13 “Wherefore I will not be negligent to put you always in remembrance of these things, though ye know them, and be established in the present truth. Yea, I think it meet, as long as I am in this tabernacle, to stir you up by putting you in remembrance”
3. We must help them. Gal.6:2 “Bear ye one another’s burdens and so fulfill the law of Christ.”
4. If need be, we should lay down our life for the brethren. 1 John 3:16 ” Hereby perceive we the love of God, because he laid down his life for us: and we ought to lay down our lives for the brethren.”
5. Nothing is more ridiculous than a church that will not work with one another. Give examples such as David Brown and “toadskins on the wall.” J.D. Tant and the church that had put another pulpit at the other end of the building.
6. We must give diligence to “keep the unity of the Spirit in the bond of peace.” Ephesians4:3.
II. Our Families
1. Husbands and Wives Ephesians5:22-33 “Wives, submit yourselves unto your own husbands, as unto the Lord. For the husband is the head of the wife, even as Christ is the head of the church: and he is the saviour of the body. Therefore as the church is subject unto Christ, so let the wives be to their own husbands in every thing. Husbands, love your wives, even as Christ also loved the church, and gave himself for it; That he might sanctify and cleanse it with the washing of water by the word, That he might present it to himself a glorious church, not having spot, or wrinkle, or any such thing; but that it should be holy and without blemish. So ought men to love their wives as their own bodies. He that loveth his wife loveth himself. For no man ever yet hated his own flesh; but nourisheth and cherisheth it, even as the Lord the church: For we are members of his body, of his flesh, and of his bones. For this cause shall a man leave his father and mother, and shall be joined unto his wife, and they two shall be one flesh. This is a great mystery: but I speak concerning Christ and the Nevertheless let every one of you in particular so love his wife even as himself; and the wife see that she reverence her husband.”
2. Parents and children Ephesians6:1-4 “Children, obey your parents in the Lord: for this is right. Honour thy father and mother; which is the first commandment with promise; That it may be well with thee, and thou mayest live long on the earth. And, ye fathers, provoke not your children to wrath: but bring them up in the nurture and admonition of the Lord.” How are the parents to accomplish this? “And thou shalt teach them diligently unto thy children, and shalt talk of them when thou sittest in thine house, and when thou walkest by the way, and when thou liest down, and when thou risest up. And thou shalt bind them for a sign upon thine hand, and they shall be as frontlets between thine eyes. And thou shalt write them upon the posts of thy house, and on thy gates.” Deuteronomy6:7-9
3. Siblings to each other. Jacob and Esau– From Genesis chapters 25
2) Blessing From Father
3) Reunited in peace.
4) Joseph to his brethren.
4. Grandparents to grandchildren Deuteronomy4:1,2,5,6,9 Read
III. Fellow Man
1. Luke 10:26-37 Who is my neighbor?
2. We are all made of one blood. Acts 17:26
3. Hebrews13:2 “Be not forgetful to entertain strangers….”
4. Pray for our enemies
5. “So then, as we have opportunity, let us do good unto all men especially to those of the household of faith.” Gal.6:10.
IV. Our Government
1. Romans 13
2. 1 Peter 2:13-15
1. Read 2 Peter 1:3-11 These are the principles upon which we can be righteous before God.
2. If you are a Christians, then live righteously–justly–toward…
3) Fellow man
3. If you are not a Christian, then how can you live righteously?
1) Christ died so you can live righteously 1 Peter 2:24 “who in his own self bare our sins in his body upon the tree, that we, having died unto sins, might live unto righteousness; by whose stripes ye were healed.”
2) If you are obedient from the heart to the form of teaching that Christ has left us, then you can live righteously also
e. Be Baptized
4. Titus 2:12