BE AN EXAMPLE
INTRODUCTION: 1 Timothy 4:12
1. Someone is watching you.
2. Ancient orators taught that, to be heard, the speaker had to apply PATHOS, LOGOS and ETHOS. People watch to see if what you do matches with what you say.
3. Timothy was being watched. So Paul could teach others how to live through Timothy.
4. He instructs, commands: Be an example!.
DISCUSSION: Be an example!
I. IN WHAT YOU SAY. “In Word”
1. The standard is truth, John 17:17.
1) As the oracles of God, 1 Pet. 4:11.
2) Agreeing with Scripture, the Word, 2 Tim. 3:16; 4:2.
3) Speaking by the authority of Jesus, Col. 3:17.
4) Speaking truth, Eph. 4:15.
2. The standard is love.
1) Truth in LOVE, Eph. 4:15.
2) With GRACE, Col. 4:6.
3. The standard is purity.
1) Not corrupt but edifying, Eph. 4:29. (Dobie)
2) Idle words don’t meet the standard, Matt. 12:36.
II. IN HOW YOU LIVE. “In Conversation” (Acts 1:1)
1. Paul describes what he means by “in conversation.”
1) How you love, “In Charity.”
a. Lay down your life, 1 John 3:16-18.
b. See need, give.
c. 1 Cor. 13.
d. No longer a thief but a giver. Work to give. Eph. 4:28
2) In Your Attitude (Zeal). “In Spirit.”
a. Consider the example of Stephen, Acts 6:9-10.
b. The Christians who were scattered, Acts 8:4.
c. Shadrach, Meshach and Abednego, Dan. 3:16-18.
d. The kind of attitude it takes to preach in season and out of season.
3) In Your Faith. “In Faith.”
a. Like Abraham, Rom. 4:19-21.
b. Like Paul, 2 Tim. 4:6-8.
c. Paul describes the example as “stedfast, unmovable, abounding in the work,” (1 Cor. 15:51-58)
4) In Your Purity. “In Purity.”
a. Part of “pure religion.” (James 1:27)
b. We become pure by leaving behind the sins of the flesh and by the blood of Jesus, 1 Cor. 6:9-11
CONCLUSION: 1 Timothy 4:12
1. We are to be examples. Timothy was commanded to be an example but that implies that others were to follow his example, and become examples.
2. If someone were to follow your lead, where would they end? Heaven and blessing? Or Hell and misery?
3. If you are not the example you ought to be today…